NaLarpWriMo

I’m keen to give it a go, don’t mind which month. Now to think of an interesting idea!

Sounds like a great idea. Might be a bit close to writing Al Shir-Ma for me, but certainly interested in theory.

Would March or April be early enough? When you need blurbs / rough game submissions by?

(Chimera happens late in the month, so September is too soon, and others will be writing for Fright Night. November - February is Con season, and people will be writing for KapCon and BattleCry. Which leaves March - April before we get into Teonn and the America’s Cup / BoD cycle).

I’m writing a game this month (this week, in fact, for my first full draft). But I’d be keen to try again in a couple of months’ time to see if I have another one in me.

I’m liking April. If I get a game scripted early enough, I could even run it at Chimera.

So, do we need to set any parameters for it, other than “freeform in a month”? Or do we just let people set their goal, and then share in their procrastination?

Whichever month it is, I’m keen.

I thought about it, but the conventions for a larp vary so widely, as do people’s writing approaches, that it seemed pointless to exclude stuff. I figure if people want to write in teams there’s no reason to discount that, since many theatreforms get done in teams anyway. I thought about minimum characters but then as your Devil’s Brood experience showed, sometimes a story has X characters and there’s no point cramming more in. I thought about minimum set of materials produced but again, different working styles.

In the end, I got back to “Write a theatreform game in a month” and after all it doesn’t really matter how it gets written as long as it produces a game to play, right? Though that said, I think people should announce what they’re intending to attempt to write:

“Me and Larper Bob are writing a 24 player larp set at the Salem witch trials. We’re wanting to produce character sheets for each character, general player handout, all special knowledge hand outs, badges and a How To Run Guide.”

hmm, I might be interested in doing this too

Actually, April is the month for scriptfrenzy, and it’s totally a suitable support community :slight_smile:
scriptfrenzy.org/

Friday is 1 April, the start date. So who’s in?

ME!

anyone know where I can get some resources for writing a LARP?

[quote=“grrrlshapedthing”]ME!

anyone know where I can get some resources for writing a LARP?[/quote]

Well, there’s a site you can write it on:

larpwriter.com/en

As for writing advice, try these:

flar.demon.co.uk/freeform/index.html (esp “The Freeform Writing Process”)
larpwriting.org/essays/short_guide.html
skaro.com/larp_conplot.html

Well, I did say I was so I am. Just have to figure out which larp I am writing for this.

Better pull my finger out and finally get on with writing something.

So, erm, out of curiousity, what are people planning to write?

I went with the easy option: “Delicious Friends”, a larp of Fallen London:

[i]1889. Three decades ago, London was stolen by bats. Dragged deep into the earth by the Echo Bazaar. The sun is gone. All we have is the gas-light of Mr Fires.

But life goes on, lit by glowing fungus and candlelight. There are still people in Fallen London. And there are still parties.

The best parties are thrown by The Popular Socialite. Everyone who’s anyone will be there: bohemians, poets, anarchists, even a devil or two, all looking to lose themselves for a few hours. But the Great Game is afoot, the rakes are playing Knife and Candle in the shadows, and the Masters of the Bazaar are watching…[/i]

I won’t be using any of Echo Bazaar’s plots (what would be the point?), and no knowledge of the online game will be necessary to play the larp.

That noise you just heard was the sound of my head exploding from the sheer awesome.

I’m at Witch House this weekend. I’ll start writing my larp on Monday.

Hmm, just catching up on Diatribe reading. This is a cool idea. I hope you don’t mind me copying it and creating a NaRPGWriMo event later in the year to help people with writing of BattleCry games… (and Kapcon etc) or is someone already doing something similiar?

Time’s up. I did 18 of my target 20 characters, to first draft stage. It needs more work - a lot more work - but the core of the game is done.

And now I can sleep.

Doing this again this November. No idea what I’m going to write yet though.