With the lack of discovered Wellington venues in mind, I propose a list, nay, The list, of Wellington venues. This way, when one of us wants to host a LARP (or perhaps something else) in Wellington, we can come to this list and see which one suits us best. I will periodically edit this list as people propose new places for hire.
It's also worth noting that there is a map to which a few very generous larpers have contributed, you can see said map here.
Now, to make things easier for people who are curious about Wellington venues, let's try and include all the relevant information;
[li]Venue Hire Price[/li]
[li]Venue web page (if it exists), or links to photos (if there are any available)[/li]
[li]Approximate venue capacity (cocktail number rather than seated)[/li]
[li]Venue Location (address)[/li]
[li]Booking contact details[/li]
[li]and perhaps a brief description of the venue[/li][/ul]
Let me start things off, and be sure to post if you see something that's incorrect or has changed.
Bagonia House Foyer
- $700, 650 of which is a bond that you get back after the event (they claim to only take cheques)
- Venue information page
- 120 people
- Next to the Lady Norwood Rose Garden in the Botanic Gardens, Tinakori Road, Thorndon
- Phone: (04) 499 1400 Email: email@example.com
- Massive indoor greenhouse foyer with hanging plants, right next to the rose garden, for those who are familiar with it.
Brookfield Scout Camp
Brooklyn Community Centre
- $500 for a hall + kitchen + 25 rooms, 2 halls for hire. Individual bunks are $20. Camping is $10 (per person). $120 for one of the larger lodges, and $200 for the other. $1,000 to hire all buildings in the venue for a weekend (not exclusive). Exclusive hire is $1,500 during downtime, and $2,000 during peak.
- Venue Homepage
- Bunks for up to 107 people, large camping grounds
- Out past Wainuiomata , at the far end of Moore's Valley Road.
- Phone: (04) 564 7853 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Large camp venue with lots of bush, clearings, and tracks. Maps available: Building Map and Venue Map.
Rates from $17.25 to $11.50 (incl GST) per hour, depending on room. Cable Car Museum
- Not sure about official capacity, but two 30-40 person table top cons with LARPs have been run here very successfully.
- 18 Harrison Street Brooklyn 6021
- (04)384 6799, email@example.com
- A variety of rooms, including a good sized Hall, lounge and RSA room.
- $600 (entire venue) + $30 per hour of the event to have a staff member there to watch things (not optional).
- Venue Details Page
- 90 people
- Top of the Cable Car, 1a Upland Road, Kelburn, Wellington
- Phone: +64 4 471 0919 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two floors plus a cable car to climb in. This venue is a modern museum about the subject in its name.
Camp WainuiGear Homestead
- $25/person/night casual cabin rates; group bookings available
- 96 beds in bunkrooms, cabins and dorms
- 18 Raiha Street, Porirua
- (04) 4 237 8987; campelsdon.co.nz/application.html
- Right on the edge of Porirua Scenic Reserve, some bush space. At least two large indoor spaces (education room and dining room). May be more suitable for campaigns. No alcohol.
Hapai BuildingJohnsonville Community CentreLinden Social CentreLongbush Historical VillageMuseum of Wellington City & Sea
- $470 / day full hire; less for partial hire or half-day
- Porirua City Council venue page
- 50 - 80 People
- Okowai Road, Porirua
- Phone: (04) 237 8540
- historic home; two downstairs reception rooms and one large upstairs room
Ngaio Town HallOriental Bay Band RotundaPalm Grove Christian CampPetone Community HouseSilver Steam Railway MuseumTatum parkThistle Hall
- $1,500 (main museum, side rooms, individually, for less)
Museum venue page (note: does not include main museum rooms, although venue hire is available for them)
- ??? people (not sure, 300+ standing?)
- Queens Wharf, 3 Jervois Quay, Wellington
- Phone: +64 4 472 8904 Email: email@example.com
- The Museum is full of Wellington history exhibitions as well as a large variety of model ships. The main museum 'hall' is three stories tall with a spiral staircase in the center of it. There is a passage entranceway to the main hall that is full of barrels, rigging, the cry of seagulls and other harbour paraphinalia.
- Upstairs: $20 per hour weeknights/Saturday day. $235 + $300 bond Friday/Saturday night. Downstairs: $15/hour
- Upstairs: 120. Downstairs: 30
- Cnr Cuba & Arthur Streets, Te Aro
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Two spaces available; upstairs not cost-competitive with Turnbull House; downstairs perhaps an alternative for amsll games.
Vogelmorn HallWellesley Country Park
- $500 (the whole place on Community rates, individual room/area prices on website)
- DoC Booking Information Page
- 290 people (theatre seating from site, individual room/area capacity on website)
- 11 Bowen Street, Thorndon, Wellington
- Phone: +64 4 473 1737 Email: email@example.com
- Turnbull House is an old-school victorian style house with three levels. The entire venue is done up in polished wood, red curtains, etc. Venue can also supply chairs and tables free of charge (usually stored on the second level).
YMCA Camp Kaitoke
- $10 / person for an evening (16:00 - 02:00, self-catered); from $28 / person / night (self-catered); will cater as well.
- Accomodation for up to 150.
- 2120 Akatarawa Road, halfway between Upper Hutt and Waikanae
- firstname.lastname@example.org. (04) 471-2424
- Cabins and cottages. Two large indoor venues. Several smaller ones. Outdoor space with walkways.
- 9am - 6pm $10, 6pm - 9am $10 (students, up to tertiary level, pay $8 instead), $40 small kitchen per day, $100 large kitchen per day
- Sleeps 160. Several conference facilities. Will cater.
- 184 Marchant Rd, Pakuratahi 5372
- email@example.com. (04) 526 7338
- Bunkrooms for 160. Two dining halls, for 160 and 40. Large and small conference rooms. Gym. Camping space. Outdoor areas.
Got another venue in mind? Add it to the list by replying to this thread!